Basics of online RSA training courses
- Why get an RSA certificate?
- Should you do an RSA online or in a classroom?
- Do I need an RSA certificate before I start work?
- How does it work? (Online courses only)
- Should you get an RSA and RSG at the same time?
- Which RSA course for which State? including refresher and bridging courses
States Requiring RSA Training – See Chart Below
Quality & Cost – the bottom line for you
The reason why this website came about is because we became aware that some training was better then other training – A lot better!
Click here to see why we ended up recommending this courses.
- Why does the quality of courses differ?
- How do you compare courses?
- Why do the costs differ so much between courses?
- Why are there so many course providers?
- What about RSG and Food handling certificates?
- Why doing the cheapest RSA Course can be a bad idea
Why get an RSA certificate?
One sure way to get a job over other job seekers is to have done the required training and put this on your resume. It shows you are serious about working in the industry. It is also one less thing an employer needs to worry about before you start work. Its a no brainer if you want to get a job quickly.
The fines for serving alcohol and not having the certificate suitable for that State are up to $11000 payable by the individual who servers the alcohol. As an example here are the fines for QLD.
Do I need an RSA certificate before I start work?
It depends on the State. Some states allow you a 30 day grace period, so if you have been offered a job without an RSA certificate, you may have time to complete the course after you start work. Please refer to the information we have for each state below. Note: If you are applying for jobs having done the RSA course already for your state can be very helpful in securing a job.
How does it work? (Online courses)
- After registration and payment, you will be able to begin your course immediately.
- Good online courses enable you to login and logoff whenever you please. Each time you do this the system will recall where you are at, ready for the next session. This enables you to do the course when it suits you.
- RSA courses are design to teach you in modules. At the end of each module you must score 100% on the assessment for that module. Typically you will be able to repeat questions until you get them right. There is also a final test after which you will be able to print a certificate or have it posted to you.
- Service and Support: Some online courses offer phone and email assistance if you have any questions or concerns.
- Depending on the state, most courses take 2.5 – 4 hours. The NSW course is designed to take 6 hours.
States Requiring RSA Training – Chart
|QLD||YES – within 30 days||Online|
|NSW||YES – you also have to get your competency card within 90 days||Classroom – Online Suspended 5 Feb 2014|
|TAS||YES – within 90 days||Classroom|
Quality & Cost
Why does the quality of courses differ?
To be an accredited training provider for a particular State means that a trainer should meet certain requirements. Despite this, some trainers do not conduct their courses in appropriate way. In Queensland for example, in 2012 one trainer had their approvals for RSA and RSG cancelled after an audit. Also, how the course work is presented and delivered to you so that you pass this test varies from website to website. Some courses seem more focused on making the owner money and not necessarily helping you learn how to attain the RSA certificate.
The bottom line is you want to be effectively taught so that you can pass the test with as quickly as possible. Good service and support should helps with this, but this varies enormously between training organisations.
Why do the costs differ so much between courses?
One of the biggest advantages of online courses over classroom course is that the cost to deliver the course is lower than the classroom courses. However the cost of setting up a quality website with good teaching tools and then managing it well is substantial. Many training providers meet the bare minimum standards to supply the course at the expense of providing great training and service to you.
The bottom line is that you want good training at a low cost. Fortunately, it is possible to get good training at a reasonably low cost, but you do have to choose carefully.
Why are there so many course providers?
Each state in Australia has different liquor legislation and some different testing requirements. This means there are many providers offering different training. Some conduct training for one State, some offer it for multiple States.
The bottom line is you want to pick the right course that meets your specific needs.
What about RSG and Food handling certificates?
The State governments of Australia all have different regulations surrounding the RSG Certificate (Responsible Service of Gambling) and Food Handling Certificates. For example often in a pub it is quite common to work around poker machines. You may also be required to assist with food preparation before meal delivery. In general RSA certificates are issued more commonly and discounts are sometimes offered by many training providers if you register for two or three courses at the same time. As a general rule of thumb, if you plan to work in QLD, NSW or TAS in a pub then you might consider getting an RSG certificate as well to save some money and hassle.
The bottom line is just ask your future employer – it may actually help your chances of getting a job.