Choosing an online RSA course or doing a refresher course can be confusing – Here is a jargon free guide to help you choose which course you should be doing.
Each State has different requirements for the Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA)
- Victoria (VIC) and New South Wales (NSW) in particular have their own requirements, the main one being that their tailored courses are done in a classroom.
- Queensland (QLD), Western Australia (WA), Northern Territory and South Australia allow you to do a Nationally Accredited course which can be done online.
- UPDATE JULY 2013 – Queensland joined the list of states that allow you to do the Nationally Accredited Course. Here is the RSA Online for QLD I did.
UPDATE FEB 2014 - RSA online NSW suspended until further notice
Some courses are designed to allow you to work in multiple States. For example, this course we reviewed allows you to choose courses and save money if you might want to work in multiple states. Basically what they have done here is taken the specific requirement (like NSW for example) and made sure that the course is also compliant with the Nationally accredited course.
Other courses will allow you to only work in VIC or NSW.
To try and simplify things the Australian government has a database of Training Courses that meet National Standards.
QLD, WA, NT and SA are the States that require that you meet the do a course that is Nationally accredited.
NSW and VIC require additional content such as specific information about penalties and provisions as well as specific videos that the courses must show to be compliant. NSW also requires audio content.
Bridging Courses Online
Because the many courses are quite similar, in some States it is possible to do a bridging course if you move interstate.
- Going to work in QLD, NT, SA, WA? – If you want to work in these states and have a course this same group of states already, there is a good chance it is “nationally accredited” – Check your certificate. These states accept nationally accredited RSA certificates. Example: If you have a RSA from NSW or VIC for example it will not be ‘nationally accredited” and therefore you will most likely have to do a new one.
- Going to work in QLD? – Queensland thankfully joined the list of states that allow nationally accredited certificates (in July 2013) so if you have one from NT, SA, WA it will likely be “nationally accredited” and therefore you will not need a bridging course – just check.
- Going to work in VIC? Victoria is the exception. The justice department in Victoria WILL NOT accept any RSA certificate if it’s been completed online. Despite this, there are some interstate RTO’s that promote that you can do their Queensland RSA and then do the Victorian refresher but we highly recommend you do NOT do this. However if you have moved interstate to Victoria, you may be able to do a classroom course for free if you have done your RSA in another State within three years.
- Going to work in NSW? - New South Wales allows you to do a bridging course. Basically you just have to do the first two modules of the NSW RSA online course if you got an RSA from another state in the past five years. RSA online NSW suspended until further notice
- Going to TAS or A.C.T. These jurisdictions require that you do a course with a trainer that is on their approved list. Therefore even though you may have an RSA certificate from another State you will need to do a refresher with an approved trainer.
RSA refresher courses are required for some States and not others.
- QLD – requires that you do a refresher course every three years
- NSW – details to be announced in 2013 – currently introducing competency card - if you have a paper based RSA certificate you will need to transition to the competency card
- WA – there is no requirement for refresher training currently
- VIC - Consumer Affairs Victoria recommend those who hold an RSA certificate should refresh their knowledge every three years
- ACT - requires that you do a refresher course every three years
Please add to comments below for any updates to this section or questions you may have. I will respond as soon as I can, but please be patient. Each state has different requirements and these requirements are continually changing. Thank you!